By Paul Evans
Charlie Payne, co-driven by Ammanford’s Carl Williamson, won the Bob Shaw Memorial Stages at Brawdy Airfield in Pembrokeshire by almost a minute after a great performance in their Ford Fiesta.
It was a great day all ‘round for the Payne family, as Charlie’s son Elliot (co-driven by Simon Rogers) won the Junior category in his Citroen C1.
Peter Smith/Matt Edwards finished 56 seconds behind in another Ford Fiesta, while Llandysul’s Jamie Jukes/Ellie Williams finished third in a Spencer Sport Mitsubishi Mirage R5.
A number of fancied runners retired from the Pembrokeshire Motor Club organised event. David Morgan/Richard Suter suffered fuel system problems in their Darrian T90 GTR, Thomas Cooper/Ian Davies had gearbox problems with their Mitsubishi Evo, Rhys McLoughlin/Michael Gilbey broke a driveshaft in their Peugeot 205 and Stephen Simpson/Dave Jackson were forced to stop after their Subaru Impreza’s engine started to overheat.
Bob Shaw Memorial Stages – top 10 finishers
1. Charlie Payne/Carl Williamson (Ford Fiesta WRC)….53mins 36secs
2. Peter Smith/Matt Edwards (Ford Fiesta)….+0.56
3. Jamie Jukes/Ellie Williams (Mitsubishi Mirage R5)….+1.51
4. Nigel Gibbard/Ian Taylor (Darrian GTR)…+1.52
5. Mike Jewell/Paul Williams (Subaru Impreza)…+1.58
6. Rob Tout/Ian Meakin (Mitsubishi Evo X)…+2.26
7. Gareth James/Steff Evans (Ford Escort)….+2.27
8. Carl O’Grady/Dylan Bishop (Nissan Sunny)….+2.43
9. Tony Rees/Jamie Vaughan (Darrian GTR)….+2.49
10. Marcus Pagett/Rhys Stoneman (Nissan Micra)….+3.07