Wrexham have given a new contract to current caretaker manager Graham Barrow – even though he insists he has no intention of becoming their permanent boss.
Instead, Barrow – who stepped into the void after the departure of Sam Ricketts for Shrewsbury this week – will remain as assistant manager, working alongside whoever comes in.
It’s an unusual move by the club, but they hope it will bring them some continuity after recent turbulence.
The 64-year-old Barrow has signed a deal that will take him through to 2021, just four months after Ricketts brought him on board.
Barrow said: “It was never in any doubt in my mind. My main concern has been the players and the club. I’m happy the people in charge and the fans feel the same way.
”The players are still in good spirits. Nothing has really changed for me. Looking back at my career in football I have been through these situations before.
“I’m very happy at Wrexham. I’m very happy to be staying here. This club has so much passion around it. I remember going for an early morning walk around Portugal during our pre-season stay there and seeing all of the flags everywhere. It’s an amazing club with passionate people around it.
“I hear the voices of the supporters every week, there is always a buzz around the place. It’s why I’m in football. I’m going to carry on doing the best I can for Wrexham now and that’s all I’m concerned about.”
Barrow joined the Dragons in July after a stint as head of football development at AFC Fylde, but has a wealth of experience as both manager and assistant.
This includes spells as manager at Chester, Wigan Athletic, Rochdale and Bury as well as acting in an assistant capacity for Notts County, Bury and Chesterfield.
He took interim control at Wrexham following the departure of Ricketts on Monday, but had already taken charge for the FA Cup tie against Newport County last Saturday after Rickets was ordered to stand aside.
Former Wrexham defender Dennis Lawrence is the bookies’ favourite to take over as permanent manager, but national team Trinidad and Tobago have said they will fight off any approach.