By David Williams
Cardiff City and Swansea City are waiting to hear how the plan for football to return in England can be made to work in Wales.
Both Welsh clubs are seeking advice over whether the different regulations either side of the border might affect their ability to resume squad training.
Premier League and Championship clubs are hoping to resume training sessions within days after rules and advice governing the workplace were re-shaped by the UK government.
Those relaxations on travel and workplace activity did not apply in Wales, leaving Cardiff and Swansea unsure over how they can prepare for a resumption of their Championship campaign.
Premier League players are set to be subjected to a strict testing regime if they are to return to training amid the coronavirus pandemic, according to reports.
The BBC has claimed it has seen a copy of official protocols sent to all 20 Premier League clubs detailing the need for corner-flags, balls, cones, goalposts and even playing surfaces to be disinfected after each training session.
Other measures in the guidance include twice-weekly testing, and a daily pre-training questionnaire and temperature check.
Should a player test positive, with or without symptoms, they will be forced to self-isolate for seven days.
All players will have to travel to a training ground individually and avoid public transport.
Once there they will not be allowed to gather in communal areas and won’t be fed on the premises.
Tackling and contact will reportedly be banned for the first phase of team training.
Meanwhile, club medical staff must wear personal protection equipment when treating the players.
A meeting involving players, the Professional Footballers’ Association and the UK government over safety and health issues surrounding a possible restart of the game is set to take place on Wednesday.
PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor, said his members would be open to playing again provided “everything that can be done is being done” to assure their safety.
“We’ve got to try it, see if we can do it and see if we can return to some form of activity,” Taylor told the Mirror.
“But it’s also being as careful and having as many assurances as possible that it’s achievable.”
However, England internationals Raheem Sterling and Danny Rose are the two latest high-profile players to raise their concerns over a return to contact sport when the rest of society is being advised to follow social-distancing guidelines.
“The moment we do go back it just needs to be a moment where it’s not just for footballing reasons, it’s safe for not just us footballers but the whole medical staff, referees,” Sterling told his YouTube channel.
Meanwhile Rose, on loan at Newcastle from Tottenham, told an Instagram live: “People’s lives are at risk.
“Football shouldn’t even be spoken about coming back until the numbers have dropped massively.”
A further complication for Project Restart is where any matches would be played, with the clubs opposed to a proposal for a limited number of neutral venues to be used.
The UK’s national football policing lead previously stated resuming matches on a home-and-away basis would “present challenges” to the emergency services.