French Storm Leaves Wales’ Hopes Of U20 World Championship Semi-Finals Blown Away

Wales U20 France U20. (Photo by Ashley Vlotman/Gallo Images/Getty Images)

French Storm Leaves Wales’ Hopes Of U20 World Championship Semi-Finals Blown Away

Dragon Bet image 2

By David Williams

Wales’ hopes of reaching the quarter-finals of the U20 World Championship were blown of course in storm-ridden Cape Town when defending champions France secured a 29-11 victory at Athlone Stadium.

Wales were unable to capitalise in the first half when they had a gale force wind behind their backs. France scored three converted tries to give the defending champions a comfortable 21-6 lead at the break.

France were ruthless in the opening half, scoring every time they had a sniff of the try-line while Wales were forced to make nearly double the amount of tackles in the first half as France kept the ball tight and chiselled away at the Welsh defence.

A yellow card to Isaac Young gave France paved the way for France to expose their extra man advantage with No 8 Mathis Castro snatching the bonus point for their fourth try of the match.

Wales continued to Hussle away and scored a late try through the hard-working Morgan Morse but it wasn’t enough as France marched into the semi-finals while Wales will now play in the 5th-8th place finals.

With storms lashing Cape Town, the game was initially in doubt after the opening game of the day between Ireland and Australia was cancelled. However the rain eased to allow the game to go ahead.

Wales were the first to score when Harri Ford got Wales on the board with a penalty.

France playing directly into the wind, scored their first try in the eighth minute after they punched holes in the Welsh defence before the overlap was created for left winer Hoani Bosmorin. Hugo Reus brought the ball in brilliantly from the sideline to put France 7-3 ahead.

Ford brought the score to within a point with his second success of the afternoon but Wales then came under intense pressure. They held out until the 32nd minute when they lost a defensive line-out and eventually Thomas Lacombre splintered the last line of defence to score France’s second try.

Bosmorin finished off in the corner to extend France’s lead and put them firmly in control at the break.

Despite dominating possession and territory, France were frustrated in the second half as the Welsh defence kept knocking back the boys in blue. Richard Whiffin’s side defended bravely and only allowed France a try and a penalty but had left themselves too much to do after failing to take advantage of the conditions in the first half.

Both sides will now await anxiously the result of the South Africa v England game to determine the final placings for the knock-out stages.

Dragon Bet image 2

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.