Glamorgan have put all their players and coaches on furlough until the end of May.
With cricket’s start to the season having been delayed, the county have opted to take advantage of the government’s job retention scheme, which covers 80 per cent of wages up to £30,000-a-year.
The County Championship was scheduled to start this weekend but the domestic season has been postponed until at least May 28 and there is the expectation of further delays.
Most counties are furloughing at least some of their staff and players and some fear the entire 2020 season could yet be wiped out because of the coronavirus pandemic.
A collective player agreement was thrashed out between the Professional Cricketers’ Association, the England and Wales Cricket Board and the 18 first-class counties in a bid to protect the domestic game.
Glamorgan’s playing staff will join the rest of the non-playing staff on furlough while there are 25 per cent salary cuts for senior figures.
Chief executive Hugh Morris said, “This is not a decision that the club have taken lightly, but it’s a necessary one to help preserve the jobs of all the staff at Glamorgan.
“We are incredibly grateful to all members of staff for recognising the challenges to the finances of the club and willingly engaging in the measures taken to help protect the future of Glamorgan.”
Glamorgan had been meant to start the campaign against Cardiff MCCU on Monday before hosting Middlesex at Sophia Gardens.
— PCA (@PCA) April 8, 2020
Director of cricket Mark Wallace said: “I’ve spoken to all the players, and the coaching staff, and they understand the difficult situation that we find ourselves in and were keen to help, and are understanding of the steps we’ve taken.
“They are disappointed that they are not getting a chance to show their hard work from pre-season and play games of cricket in front of our fans, but ultimately this decision is for the benefit of all involved at the club and we hope to get back on the pitch later this summer.”
The PCA will relinquish £1million, around half of the domestic player prize pool for 2020, and will support the implementation of the County Partnership Agreement, providing support to cricketers who leave the game from this year and beyond.
It is understood that the players received confirmation via email that the actual figure that will be given up will be £1.5million.
PCA chairman Daryl Mitchell said: “The understanding from our players and the willingness to help has been particularly heartening.
“Like many industries, cricket recognises the challenges it currently faces; the players have been alert to the need for them to play their part.
“The coronavirus pandemic will continue to put financial pressure on the game and this initial two-month agreement will support the game for the period of April and May.
“As a group of players, we will do everything we can to ensure that when cricket does return the sport is in a position to thrive.”