Elfyn Evans is involved in a fierce scrap with all three podium places at the World Rally Championships in Spain up for grabs.
The Dolgellau-born driver went into the final day in fourth spot having slipped from his overnight place of third at the RallyRACC Catalunya – Rally de España.
But Evans was just 1.8secs behind Citroen’s multiple champ Sebastien Loeb and less than 10 seconds off the lead held by Toyota’s Jari-Matti Latvala.
“It’s been another challenging but rewarding day,” said Evans after battling treacherous asphalt roads made wet by heavy rain in his M-Sport Ford Fiesta WRC car.
“The conditions made for some fairly tricky stages, but we delivered a clean and tidy drive and are in a good position going into the final day.
“It’s so close out there and it really is anyone’s for the taking. We’re still in the hunt and we’ll keep pushing to bring home a strong result.”
Evans’ M-Sport team-mate Sebastien Ogier is lying in second spot just 4.7 secs off the lead.
Six crews are still in the mix for victory in the penultimate rally of the season on the final day’s 61.70kilometres of action.
M-Sport boss Malcolm Wilson OBE, said: “Sebastien and Elfyn have both had a great day and it’s incredible to see how close the battle is.
“With less than 10 seconds separating the top-four and only 16.5 seconds separating the top-six we’re in for a fantastic final day.
“It’s such an exciting time for our sport. The competition couldn’t be closer, both in the rally and the championship, and I know both of our guys will be pushing hard to secure the best possible result.
Evans’ Stages Results
SS9: 6th (+9.3)
SS10: 7th (+10.5)
SS11: 6th (+5.6)
SS12: 6th (+7.5)
SS13: 4th (+8.5)
SS14: 7th (+2.0)
Top 10 Overall
1. Jari-Matti Latvala / Miikka Anttila (Toyota Yaris WRC) 2:35:01.8
2. Sébastien Ogier / Julien Ingrassia (Ford Fiesta WRC) +4.7
3. Sébastien Loeb / Daniel Elena (Citroen C3 WRC) +8.0
4. Elfyn Evans / Daniel Barritt (Ford Fiesta WRC) +9.8
5. Thierry Neuville / Nicolas Gilsoul (Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC) +12.7
6. Dani Sordo / Carlos del Barrio (Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC) +16.5
7. Esapekka Lappi / Janne Ferm (Toyota Yaris WRC) +46.5
8. Ott Tänak / Martin Järveoja (Toyota Yaris WRC) +1:00.7
9. Craig Breen / Scott Martin (Citroen C3 WRC) +1:37.9
10. Andreas Mikkelsen / Anders Jaeger (Hyundai i20 Coupe WRC) +2:07.3
11. Teemu Suninen / Mikko Markkula (Ford Fiesta WRC) +3:14.5