Rhys Carre could soon be heading back to Cardiff Blues as the implosion of Saracens looks set to end with the club’s relegation from the English Premiership.
The Wales prop left the Blues to join Sarries at the end of last season, but his two-year contract already looks likely to be ripped up as the continuing salary cap crisis engulfs the club.
The double winners have been told they will be demoted into the Championship at the end of the season following a summit of Premiership Rugby Limited chief executives in London on Tuesday.
Saracens were last November docked 35 points and fined £5.36million for breaking the £7million salary cap for the past three seasons.
However, patience appears to have run out amongst rivals over their efforts to fall within the limit for the 2019-20 campaign, having added Carre as well as England internationals Elliot Daly and Jack Singleton to their squad over the summer.
Chief executive Ed Griffiths presided over an emergency meeting of staff and players at the club’s Hertfordshire training ground on Friday morning amid ongoing efforts to reduce their wage bill.
Griffiths admitted earlier this month there must either be wage reductions or players trimmed from the squad in order to comply with salary cap regulations and it has been reported that £2million is the amount of savings needed to be found.
Griffiths has confirmed that Saracens must reduce their wage bill and, alongside director of rugby Mark McCall, is identifying players to be trimmed from the squad.
Wales full-back Liam Williams’ departure for Scarlets that is due to happen at the end of the season is set to be brought forward, while Richard Wigglesworth, George Kruis, Juan Figallo and Michael Rhodes face uncertain futures.
Blues coach John Mulvihill said earlier this month he would welcome the return of Carre, before the latest twist in the story of Sarries’ decline.
“Rhys is a home-grown talent and sure we want those guys back here at the club,” said Mulvihill.
“If that comes across our way, that’s fantastic. It was unfortunate that he left to pursue a career at Saracens.
“But he has got another year to go on his contract there and we can’t be chasing people who have already got a contract elsewhere. We will just to have to wait to see how it pans out.”
Carre was sent off playing for Saracens against the Ospreys last week, but that was a rare start for the 21-year-old who has struggled for game time since moving to London.