Wales winger Sorba Thomas has swapped a relegation fight with Huddersfield for a promotion chase with Blackburn Rovers after being told he had fallen down the pecking order with the Terriers. Thomas – who went to the World Cup with Wales only two months ago – was told his chances were going to be limited at Huddersfield after they brought in some new additions. The club are languishing in the Championship relegation zone, three points adrift of Cardiff City who are in 21st place.
New attack coach Alex King says Wales are determined to play an entertaining brand which is rooted deep in the country’s DNA. King joined up with the rest of Warren Gatland’s coaching staff on Monday, with the New Zealander having chosen the former England fly-half to replace Stephen Jones as attack coach. The 47-year-old has little time to get his messages and methods across ahead of the Guinness Six Nations opener against Ireland on February 4, but King is confident that he can do so to mark Gatland’s Wales return with a winning start.
Welsh female athletes are still waiting to hear from World Athletics who say their transgender policy is still a work in progress. Its stance follows claims made by British shot-putter that the governing body’s preferred option would “screw” female athletes. The global organisation is consulting with member federations over its preferred option for a new policy.
Former Swansea City manager Paul Clement has lost his job at Everton in the fall-out from Frank Lampard’s sacking. Clement – who was Swansea manager throughout 2017 – was assistant to Lampard, but has left the club along with the rest of the former England star’s backroom team of Joe Edwards, Chris Jones and Ashley Cole. Everton, who are now searching for their seventh manager in the last seven years, had been the latest port of call for Clement, who was sacked by the Swans five years ago.
Warren Gatland believes there is a need for discussion on Wales’ 60-cap selection rule amid uncertainty surrounding the futures of several players. The policy was established in 2017, with players who subsequently signed contracts to ply their trade outside Wales deemed ineligible for Test selection unless they have won at 60 caps or more. And the situation is now magnified due to a recruitment freeze affecting Wales’ four professional regions of Cardiff, Ospreys, Dragons and Scarlets.
Rob Page Apologises To Fans After Poor World Cup Showing . . . But Insists Wales Will Grow From Their Bitter Disappointment
By Hannah Blackwell Robert Page has apologised to Welsh fans and admitted that he and his team had let them down during the World Cup, with their below par performances in Qatar. The head coach from Tylorstown has insisted that his team will learn from the mistakes, as they aim to qualify... Read More
The Football Association of Wales Remain Unconvinced . . . But Top Leagues Are Set To Implement New Concussion Substitute Rules
By Gareth James The Football Association of Wales is yet to be fully convinced over plans for new substitute rules around concussion. A temporary concussion substitute trial in the Premier League next season is believed to be supported by a majority of the UK’s four football associations heading into a key meeting... Read More
Gareth Bale Has Put Wales On The Global Map . . . Now Robert Page Insists The Welsh Legend Deserves A Statue
By Paul Jones Gareth Bale deserves a statue built in his honour, according to Wales manager Rob Page. Bale, a five-time Champions League winner at Real Madrid, announced his retirement on Monday after winning 111 caps and scoring 41 goals for his country – two Wales men’s team records. The 33-year-old’s decision came... Read More
By David Williams Kit Symons has lost his job as Wales assistant manager. Symons’ contract was up after the World Cup and will not be renewed for the forthcoming Euro 2024 campaign. Speaking about the decision, Wales manager Rob Page said: “I would like to thank Kit for his hard work and contribution... Read More
Football in Wales is set to go ahead on the day of the King’s coronation on May 6. The Football Association of Wales cancelled all fixtures on the weekend following the death of the Queen in September, receiving criticism in particular for the decision to prevent children from playing by... Read More
Harry Wilson praises Neco Williams’ “courage and bravery” . . . And Admits That Wales Are Ready For Iran Challenge
By Paul Jones Harry Wilson has praised Neco Williams’ “courage and bravery” for playing in Wales’ World Cup opener on Monday following the death of his grandfather. Williams’ grandfather died on Sunday and the Nottingham Forest full-back shared the sad news on social media after playing in Wales’ 1-1 draw against the... Read More