Ten-Man Rhondda Bulldogs Climb Off The Bottom

Ton Pentre battled to a Welsh Football League point despite having a player sent off early in the second half against Goytre United.

The First Division match ended 0-0 at Ynys Park, a result which lifted the Rhondda Bulldogs off the bottom on goal difference.

Ton, who are still without a win after 11 matches, are level on four points with Caerau Ely and Monmouth Town.

Caerau are bottom (goal difference -27), while Ton and Monmouth are above them with an identical minus 18.

Ton Pentre were forced into playing the majority of the second half with 10-men following the dismissal of Josh Hardy.

The Bulldogs defender was on the receiving end of a rash tackle that saw the offender receive a yellow card, while Hardy was dismissed for retaliation.

Ton Pentre fought hard and the determination throughout the team was spot on against sixth-placed United. They created chances to score with Kieren Bassett among those to go close.

Ton have made several new signings with goalkeeper Stephen Hall, defender Lewis Baldwin, midfield players Charlie Loss, and Andrew Evans plus forward Stuart Brock all joining the club.

Hall signed from JD Welsh Premier League Carmarthen Town, Baldwin and Brock moved to Bulldogs from AFC Porth.

Loss switched from Aberbargoed Buds, while Evans signed for Ton having been with Newport County academy last season.

Thomas Davies and Andre Griffiths have both left the club, joining Aberbargoed Buds and Afan Lido respectively.

The next match for manager Kevin Richards and his team is against Afan Lido away on Saturday, November 25 (Marston’s Stadium, 2pm).

Ton Pentre: Hall, Williams, Facey, Hardy, Baldwin, Hayward (capt), Bassett, Evans, Loss, Small, Brock. Subs: Lewis, Smith, Davies, Thomas.

First Division leaders Haverfordwest County powered to a 5-0 win against Caerau Ely.

Dan Williams scored a beautifully taken hat-trick on an afternoon when the entire game was played in steady rain and the surface became increasingly greasy.

When the game was beginning to get bogged down in the mud, County produced two late goals prompted by the enterprise of substitute Charlie Davies.

Those conditions made life difficult for the players, but both sides played good, fair football, in a game calmly and well controlled by referee Ben Williams.

Williams (3), Declan Carroll and Charlie Davies were the County scorers. Carroll scored from an 82nd minute penalty after Davies was brought down and the final goal came after 90 minutes.

Davies curled in a wicked inswinger of a corner which dipped just below the bar where goalkeeper Ryan Fleming, who has just returned from Australia and wouldn’t have wanted to contend with such a ball on a wet Welsh afternoon, lost his grip on the ball and saw it fall over the line.

The solid Sam Rodon-inspired back four never really looked like being breached, but behind them goalkeeper Conah McFenton was always secure with the little he had to do.

The re-shuffled front four, with Leon Luby dangerous out on the right, Walters in endless action and the wily Kristian Speake putting in clever shifts of direction, were always threatening.

Ricky Watts and Sean Pemberton shone in midfield.

Penybont won 2-0 against Afan Lido with Marcus Griffiths and Kieran Howard scoring during the second half at Kymco Stadium.

Llanelli Town had to grind out a win against Cwmamman United, earning the points when Joe Clarke scored the only goal after 88 minutes.

The Reds dominated possession, but lacked a cutting edge in the final third with too many wrong options being taken.

Talisman Lee Trundle was kept relatively quiet, failing to convert from the penalty spot with goalkeeper Chris Curtis bringing off a great save.

Cwmamman, too, created chances, with an early one falling to Ashley Curtis when a Jordan Vickers clearance over the Reds rearguard sent him clear, but with Scott Coughlan off his line, Curtis delayed his effort, and when the challenge came in he sent his finish over the top.

United appeared to take the lead when Tom Blackburn went down the right and his low cross flew into the Llanelli net off Llanelli defender Chris Thomas.

But a linesman had his flag raised and referee Tom Bevan disallowed the effort after the two men consulted.

The winner came when a Llanelli shot was cleared off the line and Clarke fired in from the rebound.

Llanelli’s next match is against Cardiff-based Caerau Ely away (2pm).

Llanelli Town: Coughlan, Samuel, Facciuto, R Jones (March 38), C Thomas, Bevan, C. Jones, Davies, Clarke (capt), Trundle, Follows (L Jones 80). Subs not used: R Thomas, Graves, Morris (gk).

Cwmamman United: C Curtis, Vickers, Jack Medwin, Josh Medwin, Howarth, Spring (capt), Thomas, John (Rees 65), A Curtis, Harris, Blackburn (Allen 62). Subs not used: Symmonds, Croucher, Jones (gk).

Referee: Tom Bevan (Claberston Road).

Attendance: 406.

Luke Gallic (3) and James Hill scored for Pontypridd Town in a 4-2 win against Pontardawe Town, whose goals were netted by Mark Hancock (2).

Ammanford won 3-2 against AFC Llwydcoed in a battle of the Second Division basement teams.

Llwydcoed Manager Mr Lee Williams was still without Adam Butler, Leon Bansal, both injured, and Liam Jones, suspended.

Ricky Carter scored first for Llwydcoed, while Cerith Williams equalised with a header.

The teams were locked at 1-1 going into the second half, while poor playing conditions and persistent rain played a part in Ammanford’s second goal.

Llwydcoed’s Gabriel Williams slipped on the tricky surface and brought down an Amman attacker with Matthew Fisher stepped scoring from the spot.

Williams was injured as he fell and substitute Lee Williams took over.

Fisher danced past several tackles to score and make it 3-1, but Llwydcoed sent on Ricky Evans, who made an immediate impact with his movement and pace causing problems for Amman.

They reduced the scoreline through Scott Walters with a clinical headed finish, but could not find an equaliser.

Nathaniel Cars Welsh League results:

Division One: Briton Ferry Llansawel v Cwmbran Celtic, postponed; Cambrian and Clydach  BGC 1, Port Talbot Town 0;  Goytre FC 4, Undy Athletic 1; Haverfordwest County 5, Caerau Ely 0; Penybont 2, Afan Lido 0; Ton Pentre 0, Goytre United 0; Llanelli Town 1, Cwmamman United 0; Taffs Well 3, Monmouth Town 0.

Division Two: Ammanford 3, AFC Llwydcoed 2; Caldicot 3, AFC Porth 0; Dinas Powys 1, STM Sports 1; Llantwit Major 4, Aberdare Town 4; Pontardawe Town 2, Pontypridd Town 4; Risca United 1, Croesyceliog 0; West End v Garden Village, postponed; Aberbargoed Buds 2, Abergavenny Town 0.

Division Three: Caerau v Treowen Stars, postponed; Chepstow Town 3, Neuadd Wen 3; Newport City 0, TRefelin BGC 3;Panteg 1, Swansea University 3;  Pontyclun 1, Ynysgerwn 1; Tredegar Town 1, Bridgend Street 4; Treharris Athletic Western 1, Trethomas Bluebirds 0; Ely Rangers 6, Penrhiwceiber 2.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.