Cardiff City’s Erol Bulut Left Frustrated But Not Hard Done By After Two-Goal Surrender

Crysencio Summerville of Leeds United tussles with Aaron Ramsey of Cardiff City. Pic: Getty Images.

Cardiff City’s Erol Bulut Left Frustrated But Not Hard Done By After Two-Goal Surrender


By Gareth James

Erol Bulut admitted he was left feeling frustrated but not unjustly denied after Cardiff City surrendered a two-goal lead at Leeds United.

The Bluebirds manager saw his team open up a shock 2-0 advantage at Elland Road, but the club relegated from the Premier League last season struck back and eventually equalised late into stoppage time to draw 2-2.

“I think the draw was a fair result for us,” said Bulut after his first Championship match in charge.

“ We managed the pressure in the second half really well, but when you concede a goal just after half-time and then one at 90+5, you’re never going to like it, and I don’t like it.

“We played against a really good Leeds team. Individually they are very, very good, and they did put us under a lot of pressure in that second half.

“The atmosphere was great, too, and you expect that at the big games in this division. The result, though, with the way it was at one point, we have to be happy.”

It was Crysencio Summerville who struck the dramatic 95th-minute leveller to earn a point.

Debutant Josh Bowler put the Bluebirds in front with a composed finish after 23 minutes and Ike Ugbo doubled the advantage before the break after Aaron Ramsey’s shot had been deflected into his path.

Leeds captain Liam Cooper leapt to divert a corner in and halve the deficit shortly after the restart, appearing to injure his ankle in the process, which forced him off on a stretcher.

And, following the incessant attacking that followed, the Whites finally got their reward in the 95th minute, when Summerville’s first-time effort crossed the line after Luis Sinisterra’s initial shot was blocked.

Leeds manager Daniel Farke said: “To be honest, I’m really disappointed in the end.

“When you judge the game in an obvious way, by looking at the statistics, it’s a scandal that we didn’t win the game.

“In the second half in particular, there was only one team playing and chasing for everything.

“It was looking like a power play at times, but we just couldn’t get the second goal we were looking for.

“I just have to praise and compliment the lads, though. They’ve all put in a terrific shift. For us to go and equalise in the 95th minute after taking so many things in the neck, well, that just shows the character out there.

“It was a really important point for the confidence and the spirit, and we have to move on to the next game positively.”

Cardiff were left with concern over their captain Joe Ralla, who suffered a hoip injury in the first-half and who could now face a spell on the sidelines.

“He had something with the abductor or hip. It was painful so that’s why we changed him,” said Bulut.

“When he has a scan, we will know more about the injury. I hope it is not serious.”

The penultimate game of the opening weekend took a little while to warm up, but, when it did, it was Leeds who were first to try and force the issue.

Teenage debutant Archie Gray saw two shots blocked in quick succession, before Willy Gnonto crashed a volley past the post from Luke Ayling’s cushioned header.

Against the run of play, however, Cardiff struck first. Callum O’Dowda collected the ball in acres of space on the left, before pulling the ball across to Bowler, whose initial shot was blocked. Ugbo then took charge and teed up Bowler to find the net at the second time of asking.

As Leeds looked for a way back, Summerville forced a diving save from Jak Alnwick, but within two minutes, they had instead shipped a second, when Aaron Ramsey’s shot deflected across the face of goal, where Ugbo was on hand to finish off from just a few yards out.

Less than three minutes into the second half, the hosts did pull one back. Summerville delivered an outswinging corner from the right and Cooper rose highest to head home.

He did, however, land awkwardly and was taken off on a stretcher after writhing in pain. Farke’s side were denied a leveller when Alnwick brilliantly pushed Daniel James’ low shot around the post, and James had the ball in the net soon after, although his effort was ruled out with Ayling having strayed offside in the build-up.

But Leeds did level in the 95th minute, when Summerville followed up – after Sinisterra’s shot from 25 yards out was blocked – to fire in a deserved equaliser and send Elland Road wild.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.