Cardiff City's Rhys Healey is on loan at MK Dons.

Five-Star Rhys Healey’s Nine Goals In Three

Rhys Healey fired five first half goals in Cardiff City’s one-sided pre-season 9-1 romp against Porthleven FC in Cornwall.

His hail took his tally in three pre-season fixtures to nine before he was substituted at half-time.

The former Welsh Premier League striker, aged 23, left the Fishermen gasping at the clinical efficiency of his finishing.

Healey tucked away chance after chance, while he could easily have had three more before the break.

He had already scored twice at Taffs Well before City’s pre-season trip to Cornwall and Devon started and struck a double against Truro City.

Cardiff City’s James Waite scored at Porthleven.

The other marksmen were Scott McLean, Jacob Evans, James Waite and Jamie Veale.

Healey’s movement and awareness had defenders struggling to cover and his finishing ability was first class.

The Manchester-born hit-man headed just over under pressure from a defender, saw another shot deflected over the bar by a lunging Porthleven player and had one effort disallowed.

It was goalless when a cross was floated into the penalty area and Healey controlled the ball with his chest before smashing his shot home on the turn.

A linesman flagged for offside, denied the striker a magnificent goal, but that only delayed the inevitable.

Anthony Pilkington and Lee Tomlin were weaving quality passing patterns, linking beautifully with their younger team-mates in this mainly under-23 team, and Healey provided the finish.

Anthony Pilkington. Pic: Getty Images.

It was a masterclass in scoring by Healey, who may be sent out on loan by City manager Neil Warnock this season.

He put Cardiff ahead after 16 minute, smashing a low shot in off a post, headed a second just after the half hour and then rounded goalkeeper Jason Robertson before shooting into the empty net on 37 minutes.

That completed Healey’s treble, but there was more to come. He headed number four five minutes from half-time and then turned a wayward long-range shot into goal soon after.

It was an impressive 45 minutes from Healey and he was substituted, his job done for the evening.

Bruising centre-forward Bob Beasley pulled a goal back after clattering into centre-back Jack Bodenham and forcing the ball past Lee Camp, who was bitterly disappointed to see his clean sheet spoiled.

Trialist McLean made it 6-2, volleying home Waite’s cross, and substitute Evans curled in number seven (79 mins).

Waite’s low strike from 20 yards took Cardiff’s tally to eight (80) and then Veale tapped in from close range (84).

South West Peninsular League Porthleven were feeling the pace by now, having had their belief and enthusiasm drained by Healey’s first half display.

Cardiff’s under-23 team have now played three, won three on their tour and have one more fixture left, against Liskeard on Saturday afternoon.

Porthleven FC: Jason Robertson (capt), Chris Wormington, Josh Sims, Scott Kellow, Paul Reynolds,Dan Greet, Heydon Dark, Nathan Taylor, Ben Beasley, Rob Carey, Matt Fox. Subs: Callum Grahamshaw, Dan Hyndmarsh, George Molcher, Jack Reynolds, Heydon Fuller, Darren Davey.

Cardiff City FC: Lee Camp, Cameron Coxe, Dan Martin (Laurence Wootton 34), James Veale, Jack Bodenham, Paul McKay, Breyden Shaw, Anthony Pilkington (Jacob Evans 56), Rhys Healey (James Waite 46), Lee Tomlin (Ciaron Brown 70), Scott McLean. Subs not used: Matthew Hall (gk).

Referee: Derek Fox.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *