Merthyr Town's Gethyn Hill won and missed a penalty at Hendon. Pic: MTFC.

Martyrs Rocked – Southern League Fixture Called Off

Merthyr Town have been denied the chance to bounce straight back from their 2-1 defeat at Hendon FC after their scheduled fixture at Truro City this evening was postponed.

The BetVictor Southern League fixture at Treyew Road in Cornwall was called off because of a waterlogged pitch.

Home club Truro held a pitch inspection at noon when it was decided the match could not go ahead.

The Martyrs slipped up at Hendon after Shaun Lucien (35 mins) and Liam Brooks (44) gave Hendon a 2-0 lead by half-time with Kieran Lewis pulling one back with 54 minutes gone.

Former Arsenal, Stoke City and Luton Town winger Ian Allinson, Hendon’s manager, has been in charge at the London club for a couple of months and said: “Merthyr Town are the best team I’ve seen since I have been in charge at Hendon.

“I’m over the moon with the win. They battered us for 20 minutes and we came through it.

“The coaching staff are shattered, I’m shattered and the fans are shattered, We could not get to grips with their shape.

“Playing a box in midfield is unusual. 

“What a goal Merthyr scored. What a finish, but we were immense. My players put themselves on the line.”

Ian Traylor went close after three minutes at Hendon when his dipping shot following a reversal pass from Ben Swallow flew just over the bar, while Merthyr were awarded a penalty after four minutes when former Cardiff City youth centre-forward Gethyn Hill was fouled.

Hill jumped up to take the spot-kick, but his shot was saved by Latvian under-21 International goalkeeper Rihards Matrevics.

Former West Ham and Barnet ‘keeper Matrevics earned 22 Latvian caps at under-17 and under-19 level before being called up to the under-21 squad.

Hendon’s Latvian under-21 international goalkeeper Rihards Matrevics, signed on loan from West Ham, is 6ft 7ins tall. Pic: West Ham United.

Lucien fired Hendon in front after good work by Liam Brooks, while their second was netted from a penalty just before half-time.

Goalkeeper Alex Harris almost saved the spot-kick by Brooks, but could not quite keep the shot out.

The 2-0 advantage was reduced after the break with a superb strike from Lewis, who fired into the top corner, and Merthyr pressed forward in a bid to earn some reward from the match.

Traylor forced Matrevics into an outstanding saved, while the Latvian denied Hill with another big stop before Jamie Veale’s curling effort flew just over.

Former Cardiff City youth player Veale set up Lewis for a shot at goal and his effort flew just wide, while Hill fired a shot at goal after 89 minutes.

Merthyr Town: Alex Harris, Ben Swallow (Corey Jenkins 83), Adam Davies, Ismail Yakubu, Jarrad Wright, Kyle Patten (Owain Jones 75), Ashley Evans (capt), Jamie Veale (Ryan Prosser 75), Gethyn Hill, Kieran Lewis, Ian Traylor. Subs: Dan Summerfield, Owain Jones, Ryan Prosser, Corey Jenkins.

Attendance: 234

Merthyr Town fixtures over the next month: 


Saturday 14 v Walton Casuals (home)

Saturday 21 v Wimborne (away)

Boxing Day, Thursday 26 v Yate Town (home)


New Year’s Day, Wednesday 1 v Swindon Supermarine (away)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *