Ruthin Town FC won 3-2 against Coedpoeth FC and now face a trip to play Holyhead Hotspur.

Port Progress In Welsh Cup And Earn Trip To Llanfair

More than 670 spectators watched Porthmadog’s cup win against Pwllheli at Leisure Centre Bank.

The Llyn and Eifionydd derby was won 3-0 by Port thanks to goals from Jay Gibbs (16 mins), Ifan Emlyn (44) and Shaun Cavanagh (90).

Those goals earned Porthmadog an away tie at Llanfair United.

Porthmadog had the greater share of possession in this JD Sports Welsh Cup tie and play was largely in the Pwllheli half of the pitch.

Sion Edwards had a lively start and his cross to the back post produced an early threat, but Rob Evans had his header blocked. Midfield player Gibbs, returning after injury, fired a low shot into the corner from 25 yards to give his team the lead.

Pwllheli goalkeeper Gethin Roberts produced two top class saves to keep them in contention, making an outstanding stops from Sion Edwards and Josh Banks.

A minute before the interval Port made it 2-0 when Ifan Emlyn broke on the left and his low shot took a deflection on its way into the net. 

In the last 15 minutes Pwllheli goalkeeper Paul Pritchard was forced into a double save to keep out former Port regular Gareth Jones Evans, while substitute Shaun Cavanagh was slipped through on goal and home ‘keeper Gethin Roberts was quickly off his line to save.

It was Cavanagh who completed the scoring and Porthmadog manager Craig Papirnyk tweeted: “What a great day. Port through to the next round, Great 1st half performance, but failed to capitalise 2nd half. Credit to Pwllheli a great effort to get back in the game, 100s in attendance which made it even more special, great support. “

Porthmadog: Paul Pritchard, Gruff Williams, Ceri James, Iddon Price, Josh Banks, Iwan Lewis, Jay Gibbs (Sion Parry 85), Ifan Emlyn, Dale Davies (Shaun Cavanagh 69), Sion Edwards, Rob Evans (Tomos Emlyn 79). Unused subs: Ryan Taylor, Dan Dascalu. 

Pwllheli:Gethin Roberts, Terry Ogilvy, Meical Williams, Martyn Smith, Gwyn Williams, Gareth Jones Evans, Jake Jones, Tomos Jones, Carl Jones,Mark Jones, Jamie Banks. Subs: Ifan Gwilym, Cai Huws, Daniel Pritchard, Morgan Williams, Lukas Baltovic.  

Referee: Cheryl Foster 

Attendance: 670

There was late heartbreak for Welsh National League Coedpoeth United when they conceded two goals in time added on and lost 3-2 against Ruthin Town.

Coedpoeth hit back from a goal down to lead 2-1, but injury time goals by Lewis Turner (90+1) and Osian Davies (90+5) sent Ruthin through.

Gwion Owen fired Ruthin ahead after three minutes, weavding his way past two Coedpoeth defenders before being brought down by a third to give Ruthin a penalty. 

Ryan Jones stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

Coedpoeth hit back. They were aggressive, without being overly aggressive, and physical without troubling the referee too much. They worked and hassled all over the pitch and had chances themselves. 

The JD Sports Welsh Cup.

Owen caused problems running at the home defence, while Pwllheli’s Davies was busy and keeping Ruthin’s midfield unit ticking over.

Coedpoeth equalised when Nick McCormick passed to Nathan Jones, who put in a great cross for Curt Griffiths to slot the ball home.

The home team went ahead when Oliver Lewis outpaced the Ruthin defence to slip a shot underneath advancing goalkeeper Ryan Goldston.

Ruthin pressed in search of the goal they needed, while a revitalised Coedpoeth continued to frustrate their visitors. 

Substitute Tom Williams was sent on, playing on the right and running at defenders. With time running out he made it to the byline and put in the best cross of the day to the back post where Turner rose to power a header into the net and make it 2-2.

It looked as though extra time would be needed, but Ruthin snatched victory after 96 minutes. 

Williams crossed and when Coedpoeth failed to clear the ball ran to Davies, who slipped his shot under the keeper for the winning goal.

Ruthin will travel to Holyhead Hotspur in the second round.

Denbigh Town won 9-3 against Holyhead Town, who had progressed to the Welsh Cup first round after hard fought victories over Menai Bridge and Llanberis.

Holyhead, nicknamed the Harbourmen, are a club resurrected two years ago after going out o f existence. 

They secured an unprecedented treble in the first season back, winning the Anglesey League, Huws Gray Megan cup and the Lucas Oil Cup. 

Man of the match Jordan Barrow, 24, made an impressive debut for Denbigh played a key role in their win.

Barrow, who developed at the Everton Academy between the ages of eight and 18, joined Denbigh after returning to the UK from Australia.

He later joined Stalybridge Celtic as a defensive midfielder and also played for Caernarfon Town, Airbus Broughton, Cefn Druids and Rhyl before moving to Australia where he signed for SV Suns Football Club in Victoria state.

Holyhead Town fought back from 3-1 down to draw level at 3-3 by half-time, but conceded six second half goals.

Jordan Barrow pictured during his days with Everton. (Photo by Nigel French – EMPICS/PA Images via Getty Images)

Barrow was a major influence and Denbigh went ahead from his corner after six minutes when goalkeeper Mike Bentley inadvertently turned the ball into his own net.

Jake Walker and Barrow, who spotted the Holyhead goalkeeper off his line and lobbed him from inside Denbigh’s half, were the other home scorers before the break, while Asa Thomas fired a hat-trick and was only denied another when he ran clear only for his effort to be cleared.

Denbigh took control in the second half with goals from Mark Roberts (3), Sam Jones (2) and Barrow.

Denbigh Town: Gwydion Owen, Bailey Jackson, Sion Jones, Curtis Langton, Tony Davies (Capt), Scott McHarrie, Lewis Sirrell, Sam Downey, Jake Walker, Jordan Barrow, Mark Roberts. Subs: Sam Jones, Pat Hinchcliffe, Ross Weaver, Craig Vernon

Holyhead Town: Mike Bentley, Jordan Lees, Mark Thomas, Joe Donovan, Luke Roberts, Sion Davies, Tom Roberts, Ry Lees, Jordan Murphy, Asa Thomas, Gary Owen. Subs: Leeroy Parry, Nicky Murphy, Dillion Roberts, Kirean Blackwell, Craig Brodie.

Referee: Mark James

Penybont FC manager Rhys Griffiths. Pic: Penybont FC.

Kieran Howard, Luke Borrelli and Kostya Georgievsky scored for Penybont FC in a 3-1 win against Panteg, whose reply was from Lewis Isles.

The reward for Welsh League leaders Penybont is a trip to play unbeaten Aberbargoed Buds.

Sixth-tier Blaenrhondda AFC defeated Garden Village 2-1. Goals from Huw Bowtell and Steve Jones gave the South Wales Alliance Division One side victory against tier three opponents and Blaen now play Cwmamman United away in the next round.

The biggest shocks of the afternoon came in the south as three Welsh League Division One sides teams were beaten.

Three times JD Welsh Cup runners-up Cwmbran Town, now playing in Gwent County First Division football, won against Afan Lido 3-2 with Danny Jenkins, Owen Llewellyn and Logan Hayes with the goals on target.

Ynysddu Welfare defeated Taffs Well 2-1 with Leigh Sharp and Kane Jones, while Pontyclun knocked Llantwit Major out of the competition.

Cwmbran have been drawn at home against Ton Pentre, Ynysddu Welfare travel to Monmouth Town and Pontyclun make the trip to Goytre United.

After a turbulent day when manager Craig Harrison left the club to join the coaching staff at Connah’s Quay Nomads, eight-times Cup Winners Bangor City enjoyed a cup win and have been rewarded with a home tie against Cefn Albion in round two.

They won 4-2 against Mold Alexandra. Andy Jones and Les Davies scored in the first half for the Citizens, after Terry Pughe had given Alex a surprise lead. 

Second-half goals from Davies and Alex Darlington ensured the Citizens progressed.

Huws Gray Alliance leaders Airbus UK Broughton have won all 10 League fixtures to date and they won 4-0 at Penycae. They now have a home fixture against Llay Welfare in round two.

Joe Chaplin fired the opening goal for Steve O’Shaugnessy’s team on 40 minutes and the Wingmakers netted a further three after the break through Leo Riley, Christian Platter and a second Chaplin effort.

In a dramatic game at the Recreation Ground in Caersws, visitors Holywell Town led 2-0 with 88 minutes played, but a double salvo for the Bluebirds from Elliot Jones and Ryan Davies sent the match into extra-time. 

Josh Jones then scored an extra time winner for Mid Wales League Caersws.

Sporting a pink kit for the Tenovus Charity, it was a day to remember for Ton Pentre who claimed their first home win at Ynys Park since March 2017. 

The Bulldogs beat Pencoed AAA of the South Wales Alliance League 3-1 with goals from debutant Leroy Thomas, Alex Davies and Leon Jacka.

Briton Ferry Llansawel won 1-0 against Caerau Ely thanks to a solitary Daniel Kingdom goal. The next cup opponents for Ferry are Treharris Athletic Western.

In the all-South Wales Alliance League clash between Sully Sports and Brecon Corries, it was the hosts from the Vale of Glamorgan who progressed with a 3-1 win with Darren Townsend (2) and Will Gale scoring.

Aberbargoed Buds in Welsh Cup action against Llandrindod Wells after a penalty shootout. They have been drawn against Welsh League leaders Penybont.

JD Welsh Cup second round

Airbus UK v Llay Welfare

Bangor City v Cefn Albion

Buckley Town v Denbigh Town

Flint Town United v Gresford United

Guilsfield v Dyffryn Nantle Vale

Holyhead Hotspur v Ruthin Town

Llanfair United v Porthmadog

Llangefni Town v St Asaph City

Prestatyn Town v Berriew

Rhyl v Caersws

Aberbargoed Buds v Penybont

Caldicot Town v Cambrian and Clydach

Cwmamman United v Blaenrhonnda

Cwmbran Town v Ton Pentre

Goytre United v Pontyclun

Haverfordwest County v Swansea University

Monmouth Town v Ynysddu Welfare

Pontypridd Town v Goytre

Sully Sports v Cwmbran Celtic

Treharris Athletic Western v Briton Ferry Llansawel

JD Welsh Cup round one results

Bangor City 4-2 Mold Alexandra

Berriew 2-2 Penrhyncoch (AET) – Berriew win 5-4 on penalties

Briton Ferry Llansawel 1-0 Caerau Ely

Buckley Town 3-1 Brymbo FC

Caersws 3-2 Holywell Town (AET)

Cambrian & Clydach BGC 5-0 Port Talbot Town

Cefn Albion 7-1 Dolgellau Athletic

Coedpoeth United 2-3 Ruthin Town

Conwy Borough 1-2 Rhyl FC

CPD Pwllheli 0-3 CPD Porthmadog

Cwmamman United 4-0 Dinas Powys

Cwmbran Celtic 3-0 Ammanford

Cwmbran Town 3-2 Afan Lido

Denbigh Town 9-3 Holyhead Town

Garden Village 1-2 Blaenrhondda

Gresford Athletic 4-3 Brickfield Rangers (AET)

Guilsfield 2-0 Rhostyllen

Hawarden Rangers 2-3 Llanfair United

Holyhead Hotspur 4-2 Corwen

Llandrindod Wells 1-1 Aberbargoed Buds (AET) – Aberbargoed win 4-3 on penalties

Llandudno Albion 3-4 St Asaph City (AET)

Llandudno Amateurs 2-4 Dyffryn Nantle Vale

Llangefni Town 2-0 Borth United

Llanidloes Town 1-2 Pontypridd Town

Llanrhaeadr Ym Mochnant 1-2 Flint Town United

Llay Welfare 2-0 Rhydymwyn

Panteg 1-3 Penybont

Penlan Club 0-1 Goytre United

Penycae 0-4 Airbus UK Broughton

Pontyclun 3-1 Llantwit Major

Prestatyn Town 5-1 New Brighton Villa

Radnor Valley 1-2 Goytre FC

STM Sports 1-2 Haverfordwest County

Sully Sports 3-1 Brecon Corries

Ton Pentre 3-1 Pencoed Athletic

Trefelin BGC 1-2 Swansea University

Treharris Athletic Western 3-2 Cornelly United

Undy Athletic 3-4 Monmouth Town

West End 0-6 Caldicot Town

Ynysddu Welfare 2-1 Taffs Well

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *