After a great year of sport for Glamorgan Cricket, Wales Women in their 2023 FIFA World Cup qualifiers, 100-cap Gareth Bale, and Wales on the threshold of qualification for the World Cup finals, plus the men’s rugby team winning the Six Nations again, it’s time to take stock.
The WRU took a step in the right direction, offering professional contracts for the women’s side who won two from three in their Autumn Nations Series. Wales men were less successful in their autumn campaign, only winning two of their four games, but Welsh athletes from Team GB came home with 22 medals from the Olympics and Paralympics in Tokyo.
What else has gone on in 2021…and how much of it do you remember?
Take our quiz below and put your knowledge to the test, answers will be posted at the end.
1. Only a small hardcore of Wales fans managed to make the trip, but who did Wales beat in Baku during the delayed Euros finals group stages this summer?
2. What was the biggest source of debate as Wales coach Wayne Pivac reflected on his team’s Six Nations title triumph through an online interview done from his home?
3. In August 2021, Seren Hughes scored 105 runs in a men’s cricket match, but for which team?
4. Who is The Ferret and why was 2021 so memorable for him?
5. What colour team medals did Cardiff’s Jenny Nesbitt and Menai Track and Field’s Osian Perrin earn at the European Cross Country Championships earlier this month.
6. Name the female shot putter and sprinter who are bidding for a spot on the Great Britain bobsleigh team at the 2022 Winter Olympics.
7. At just 19 years of age, who was the youngest member of Robert Page’s Wales squad that went to the delayed Euros finals?
8. Why was special about Edd Howley’s try, scored in the Welsh Premiership Cup quarter-final for Bridgend?
9. Who captained Glamorgan to a 58-run victory at Trent Bridge in the Royal London One Day Cup final against Durham?
10. Name the Welsh sprinter who won gold at the European Under -23 Athletics Championships in July 2021.
11. Wales clinched the Six Nations Triple Crown with a 40-24 victory over England in Cardiff, but what was notable about the scoreline.
12. Which Cardiff Met striker scored 15 goals to finish as top scorer in the Welsh Premier Women’s League for the 2020-21 season?
13. Which Welsh cyclist won the Cro Race 2021, formerly the Tour of Croatia, in October.
14. Which former Wales captain – overlooked for international selection for two years – marked their return with a stunning hat-trick of tries against South Africa?
15. Which match proved to be Steve Cooper’s last competitive game as head coach of Swansea City and what was the scoreline?
16. Nicknamed The Golden Tiger, which Welsh squash player broke into the world’s top 10 after stunning victories over higher ranked players including world No.2 Mohamed ElShorbagy?
17. Which club, with Ruaidhri Smith being their appointed Glamorgan player, won the 2021 South Wales Premier Cricket League?
18. Who won a silver medal at the Tokyo Olympics after previously discovering she was pregnant?
19. How many league goals did Cardiff City striker Kieffer Moore score in the 2020-21 season and why was the number significant?
20. Glamorgan and Australian star, Marnus Labuschagne, has just replaced Joe Root as ICC No 1 Test batsman, averaging second highest to who?
21. Cardiff athlete Jake Heyward reached the 1500m final at the Tokyo Olympics. In what position did he finish?
22. Alun Wyn Jones was injured against Japan but recovered to make the British and Irish Lions tour to South Africa. But which Wales teammate wasn’t so fortunate?
23. Who travelled from London to Johannesburg, to Durban, to Cape Town, to Dublin, to Belfast but didn’t play any rugby in November or December?
24. Which city will host next summer’s first stand-alone World Triathlon Para Series event.
25. Who was appointed as the new coach at Netball Superleague club Celtic Dragons?
26. Who were the four Glamorgan players to feature in The Hundred this summer?
27. The Ice Man, Gerwyn Price, memorably became darts world champions and world No.1 in 2021. But what is his walk-on-music?
28. Who scored, but was then sent off playing for Wales as her team earned a valuable 1-1 draw in Slovenia in a Women’s World Cup qualifier?
29. Who said: “Have you heard of The Stockdale Paradox? Basically, it states it will be all right in the end – but we didn’t know the end.”
30. Who led Connah’s Quay Nomads to a second successive JD Cymru Premier League title, but stepped down as manager just weeks into the 2021-22 season?
31. Which Welsh international rugby player – hailed by many as the most exciting runner in the world – was left unemployed after her stint with Great Britain Sevens came to an end.
32. Who are the five Welsh representatives in the Western Storm squad?
33. Who scored 105 tries in five matches in Tokyo?
34. Which Welsh international was voted the USA’s National Women’s Soccer League Most Valuable Player in 2021?
35. Who has been named the new Glamorgan Club Captain after Chris Cooke decided to step down after three years?
And the answers:
2. His curtains
3. Briton Ferry Steel CC
4. Darts star Jonny Clayton, who won four televised titles in the year, including the Masters and Players Championship
5. Both won gold
6. Adele Nicoll and Mica Moore
7. Rubin Colwill
8. He used his head
9. Kiran Carlson
10. Jeremiah Azu
11. It was a record points tally by Wales in a game against England
12. Chloe O’Connor
13. Stevie Williams
14. Carys Phillips
15. Championship play-off final defeat to Brentford – lost 2-0
16. Joel Makin
17. St Fagans CC
18. Cyclist Elinor Barker in the women’s team pursuit
19. 20 – he became the first player to hit 20 in the league for Cardiff City since Peter Whittingham in 2009-10
20. Don Bradman
22. Justin Tipuric
23. The Scarlets
25. Danielle Titmuss
26. David Lloyd (Welsh Fire), Chris Cooke (Birmingham Phoenix), Colin Ingram (Oval Invincibles), Dan Douthwaite (Manchester Originals) and Timm van der Gugten (Trent Rockets)
27. “Ice, Ice, Baby” by Vanilla Ice
28. Kayleigh Green
29. Scarlets assistant coach Dai Flanagan
30. Andy Morrison
31. Jasmine Joyce
32. Alex Griffiths, Claire Nicholas, Lauren Parfitt, Bethan Gammon and Danielle Gibson
33. Paralympic wheelchair rugby gold medal winner, Jim Roberts
34. Jess Fishlock
35. David Lloyd
Thank you for taking part, let us know how you did on our social media!