Wales winger Sorba Thomas has swapped a relegation fight with Huddersfield for a promotion chase with Blackburn Rovers after being told he had fallen down the pecking order with the Terriers. Thomas – who went to the World Cup with Wales only two months ago – was told his chances were going to be limited at Huddersfield after they brought in some new additions. The club are languishing in the Championship relegation zone, three points adrift of Cardiff City who are in 21st place.
New attack coach Alex King says Wales are determined to play an entertaining brand which is rooted deep in the country’s DNA. King joined up with the rest of Warren Gatland’s coaching staff on Monday, with the New Zealander having chosen the former England fly-half to replace Stephen Jones as attack coach. The 47-year-old has little time to get his messages and methods across ahead of the Guinness Six Nations opener against Ireland on February 4, but King is confident that he can do so to mark Gatland’s Wales return with a winning start.
Welsh female athletes are still waiting to hear from World Athletics who say their transgender policy is still a work in progress. Its stance follows claims made by British shot-putter that the governing body’s preferred option would “screw” female athletes. The global organisation is consulting with member federations over its preferred option for a new policy.
Former Swansea City manager Paul Clement has lost his job at Everton in the fall-out from Frank Lampard’s sacking. Clement – who was Swansea manager throughout 2017 – was assistant to Lampard, but has left the club along with the rest of the former England star’s backroom team of Joe Edwards, Chris Jones and Ashley Cole. Everton, who are now searching for their seventh manager in the last seven years, had been the latest port of call for Clement, who was sacked by the Swans five years ago.
Warren Gatland believes there is a need for discussion on Wales’ 60-cap selection rule amid uncertainty surrounding the futures of several players. The policy was established in 2017, with players who subsequently signed contracts to ply their trade outside Wales deemed ineligible for Test selection unless they have won at 60 caps or more. And the situation is now magnified due to a recruitment freeze affecting Wales’ four professional regions of Cardiff, Ospreys, Dragons and Scarlets.